View Single Post
Old 28-09-2020, 06:21 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

The tube as received, as well as the focuser and focuser wheels were in need of attention too. See the first 2 pictures.

I identified the scratches and gouges (some to the metal) and proceeded to fill them with automotive body filler. Next came a LOT of block flat sanding until I was happy with the result. More on the repaint in the next post.

The focuser wheels had the old rubber grips that are notorious to fail and fall off. I visited Bunnings and found a sheet of self-adhesive ribbed rubber non-slip matting (used on running boards etc). Carefully measured and cut and fitted them to the "mag wheels". Back to perfect.

Lastly, the focuser itself felt odd. Being a Crayford focuser, this was almost to be expected . I disassembled it, and found the teflon pad that rides in the pinion groove had fallen out, and that the rubber glue SW used to secure it was bundling up in a goopy ball of crud. Cleaned all that out, reaffixed the teflon pad with some special glue I have and reassembled. Not bad, not bad at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (W_1489M1.jpg)
58.4 KB147 views
Click for full-size image (W_1490M1.jpg)
62.5 KB160 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_1962.jpg)
93.6 KB142 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_1963.jpg)
138.6 KB128 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_1964.jpg)
123.0 KB148 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_1971.jpg)
73.6 KB157 views
Click for full-size image (GXJZ6304.jpg)
71.2 KB149 views