View Single Post
Old 17-10-2017, 10:59 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyc View Post
One of the oddest things I've seen in 25 years visual astronomy...

A bright star appeared just above Atria (alpha TrA), approx RA 17h 40m, Dec -69d 0m, at about 9:14pm AEST on 17th Oct, but faded below naked-eye as I watched over 15-20s. I didn't see it brighten, but it peaked a bit brighter than Atria, and was that bright as I was setting polar alignment on Atria, confusing me as an extra star near Triangular Australe. Observing site S Sydney.

No discernible movement at all (though naked eye, was watching carefully), so not a satellite flare or a plane. Much, much too slow and steady for a point meteor. Distinctly twinkling like other stars, so above the atmosphere. Nothing visible at the spot by the time I'd grabbed binoculars, 30s later. I'm an experienced observer, so would like to think (I hope!) I'd not be fooled by a satellite (though no movement and late evening) or a meteor of any kind.

Anyone else see anything? Or ideas as to what it was??
I am confused with your time?
Your post was made at 8:39 pm
But you say you saw the flash at
9:14pm AEST? how can this be.?
I think it would be better and clearer
if you put local time and Universal time so
there is no confusion.
Now too the flash,it possibly was a satellite flair that was right on the edge of the earths shadow especially if it was heading southwest, and so by the time you had got your binoculars it had gone into the shadow.
It also could have been very high so you would have not seen any movement naked eye before it disappeared into the shadow.
Things that are closer too the poles don't show the amount of movement as those closer to the equator.
I have seen many long duration satellite flairs and what I have said here is usually the case.
Cheers