Thread: An EP Role Call
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2021, 08:07 AM
Don Pensack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi View Post
Team IIS,

All of these EP threads have been awesome. Its humbling to know that I share this site with such learned and skilled astronomers.

I wonder if I might be able to use you guys in suggesting an EP line up for me.
Ive attached a spreadsheet that ive listed my visual use scopes at various focal lengths, vs EP focal lengths for various exit pupils and magnifications.

Im interested in deep sky (big and small), moon and planets. I observe mainly from Bortle 5, but have reasonably easy access to Bortle 2/3. Its hot and humid for half the year! I am shortsighted, have significant, astigmatism, aged 50 (just!) and lots of floaters. I do however prefer observing without glasses. (but that might be that ive just not got great EP's)

Assume we are starting from scratch, and 6 EPs max for the entire range of scopes and Focal lengths.

Focal lengths is the minimum info I'm after, but specifics are welcome. No budgetary constraints. Premium EP's only. Ive spent years in the basement, and feel my skills are sufficient now for a penthouse view! I currently only have 3 Ep's that I would consider "premiumish" an ES30 82, ES4.7 82 and TV PO 24. But delete these from your mind and assume nothing.

I hope you can take up the challenge!

....oh and Barlows/Powermates can be included in addition to the 6.
With those disparate telescope focal lengths, one set will not do all scopes equally well.
But I can suggest a set that could do OK.
For the SCTs: 40mm, 20mm, 13-14mm, 10mm, 8mm
For the 102mm: 24mm, 12mm, 8mm, 6mm, 4.7-4.8mm, 3-4mm
For a set for all the scopes:
41mm TeleVue Panoptic
22mm TeleVue Nagler or 21mm Ethos.
13mm, 10mm, 8mm TeleVue Ethos
TeleVue 3-6mm Zoom
6 eyepieces, covers all scopes.