View Single Post
Old 24-11-2007, 01:36 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

OK, I bought one from My AstroShop. Wish I could have got the current "Blowout" price from the Vixen shop in America - $US38 - but they won't ship outside the USA. The only site I found that would ship wanted so much for shipping that the lower price - some $US65 - didn't make it worth buying from OS. I could have thought of various ways, but I wanted it now and buying locally I had it in my hands in a couple of days.

Tried it tonight on the Moon. I thought it performed quite well. It made no major differences to the views through my 32mm and 20mm TV plossls. The image was exactly the orientation I see by naked eye and binoculars - just what I wanted! It was funny, however, moving the scope. I have trained myself well, so I kept heading the wrong direction . But I got the hang of it. Next to try it on a starhopping exercise. I'll wait for dark skies.

BTW, I was pretty happy with the seeing tonight. I pushed up to 600x using 6mm Vixen and TV 3x barlow, and still had good detail at the terminator (very close to the limb now). Had a bit of fun with my 10mm Vixen in a stack of the 3x barlow and my GSO 2x barlow - somewhere around 680x! Still seeing enough detail to make it worth trying. (Of course, not using the Vixen image erect for this fun and games! If I did, and could reach focus, I'd almost be stretching to reach the scope, since the stacked barlows, image erect and eyepiece would have been a huge length ).