View Single Post
Old 30-11-2017, 10:08 AM
Borneogoat (Murphy)

SCT or Refractor?

I'm researching which type of telescope for my first serious scope. I've been reading up on this forum and many other internet resources for several months. I know the most common suggestion, for good reason, is a 8-10" Dobson. And bang for buck, it is probably best. However, I don't think a 10" Dob fits my personal situation. I would need to store something of that size in a very hot bungalow in my backyard, thus cooling issues might hinder the "best scope is the scope you use often". Everything in this bungalow is also subject to the abuses of visiting children and not so careful adults (i.e. drunk idiot family members!). However, a smaller OTA could be stored inside the cool house or at least on a high bungalow shelf. Additionally, I would like something a little easier to carry in a dark paddock. I will have a freshly built home in about 1.5yr with a big deck and man-cave, a big light-bucket can be reconsidered then....

So I'm bouncing between a C8 SCT or SW BD ED100 refractor, but open to other suggestions. Either way, I'm getting a Goto mount. It should help with light pollution and allow for some instant gratification. Also, my partner likes the idea of Goto and her approval is required for domestic harmony!

I'm trying to balance which OTA would be best for general visual use, no interest in imaging currently. I don't know if I prefer to hunt DSO's vs ogle planets, too novice to know. But I suspect I want a bit of everything. I also expect my regular viewing will be a quick 30-90min sessions on week nights when weather permits. I've been gripped by Analysis Paralysis between SCT (aperture for better DSO) vs quality refractor (quick cooling, easy storage/transport). Budget isn't the primary consideration, but everyone has one, so comfortable around $2-3K for OTA, Goto mount, a couple EP, and whatever else is needed to start.... I'm happy to buy used, but not much for offer in TAS and most sellers expect pick-up.