View Single Post
Old 21-01-2012, 12:11 AM
Greg Bock (Greg Bock)

4th Supernova discovery for Peter Marples - PGC8012

HI all,
well, here's another great effort from the BOSS team.
This time, Peter Marples found a 14.9 magnitude SN suspect in a pretty spiral galaxy called PGC8012 in Eridanus.
It's Peter's fourth discovery, the last one being on 9 June 2009 in NGC5967, so it's been a long time between drinks.

Now, it's even more remarkable because only a few minutes earlier in the night, Peter found a new object in IC1810, which upon checking, determined that the Catalina survey had detected this new object only 2 days earlier. So, after an initial flurry of activity around IC1810, he got on with the job of checking his other images and then found this one in PGC8012.

So, effectively, he found 2 new SN in one night!! Fantastic!

After Pete called me to let me know about the new object in PGC8012, I managed to get the confirming image for him within minutes of his discovery, to prove that it wasn't an artefact in his imaging system, and I have posted a copy of my confirming image here for anyone who would like to see it, or image it.

Well done Pete, that makes 31 for the BOSS team now..

After all this, we also discovered that our BOSS mate in NZ, Stu Parker also imaged the new object in IC1810, but was also too late to identify it. So, BOSS efforts almost delivered 2 new SNe in one night. Not a bad effort.

Now, back to blinking my images from last night, I still have 160 to check!.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (SN candidate in PGC8012 noted Greg Bock.jpg)
136.8 KB138 views

Last edited by Greg Bock; 21-01-2012 at 03:50 PM.