View Single Post
Old 12-09-2019, 04:10 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

New mount, new solutions for peripherals

Recently upgraded to a Takahashi EM-200 mount, with its VERY tall solid wood tripod. Made my usual chair and table solution for the laptop a bit inconvenient.

Was in The Green Shed today - whenever I go past, I always drop in because you NEVER know what you'll find for peanuts - I've picked up some RARE military paraphernalia and collectables there for near nix). I was looking for some old wooden pencil cases, but stumbled upon this instead.

It's I believe a portable lectern - the head swivels so that A4 or foolscap would be vertical. Extending tripod. Was not locking into height, but I could see the issue. Absolutely covered in dust, so it had been sitting unused for years.

Asked the price - he said $5. I said it's not locking height, so falls down. he said $2. I paid.

Rummaged my nuts and bolts drawer for a washer and wingnut 1/4 x 20...fixed the height issue

So, the idea is fully extended, horizontal tray, laptop on top. That way I can stand during mount alignment and focus etc and leave it (or use a barstool to sit if I want). Will likely hang a counterweight off it to stop it potentially blowing over, but I don't image in wind anyway Folds up very compactly (unlike my usual table etc) and weighs nothing.

Here it is after a hose down to get years of dust off...
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_8589.jpg)
213.1 KB32 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_8590.jpg)
212.6 KB21 views