View Single Post
Old 25-09-2014, 10:34 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyt123 View Post
Hi guys...

took advantage of the clear nights we have had here in sydney recently and this was my latest polar alignment effort with a Heq5 pro.

Is this typical of what can be achieved with this mount if can it be bettered?
Its difficult to make very minute adjustments with this mount.
also something i have noticed is that there is a difference in the alignment accuracy reading when you select different alignment star.
an one other thing, why is it that the 3rd star to align with is always way out when the first 2 are more or less spot on?? I would have assumed all 3 stars to be more or less at the center of the bullseye being so close to true polar alignment
has anyone else experienced this??

my main concern is....is my degree of alignment sufficient for 15-20 min exposures? it is very difficult to get better alignment than that with a Heq5 pro.

regards

John
VERY good polar alignment.

As to imaging, I have done 20 minute subs with an alignment worse than that (even up to a minute off) and the autoguider wasn't even fighting very much.

Just give it a go and see how it works. A lot depends on a good alignment, but more depends on how well the mount tracks and how it responds when corrected for errors. I have had a former NEQ6 almost spot on polar aligned, but because of poor adjustment, tracked TERRIBLY and 5 minute subs were all it could/would handle without problems.