View Single Post
Old 06-01-2012, 11:10 AM
Shark Bait (Stu)
'ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha'

Hi Damian,

Initially the most cost effective way to get started is to use other peoples equipment. I am fairly new at using telescopes to observe the night sky. Everyone I have met who has a scope is more than willing to share their knowledge and the views on offer at the eyepiece. I used a pair of 7 x 50 binoculars mounted on a parallelogram for years. A tripod will do the job of keeping the binoculars stable and allow you to take your time scanning the sky.

Most clubs hold public observing meetings. In Brisbane we have at least three clubs that do this. Brisbane Astronomical Society holds public observing meetings at Mt Coot-tha. Southern Astronomical Society holds their meetings at Ormeau and SEQAS at Bracken Ridge.

You will be able to see the Moon, Globular Clusters, Open Clusters, Planets and Nebula. The views and advice are free. You can then work out in which direction you want head in astronomy.

I am a member of BAS. This is a link to their calander of events www.bas.asn.au/calendar_2012.html

Regards,
Stu.