Thread: Hello
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2020, 11:46 PM
Outcast (Carlton)
Always gonna be a NOOB...

Welcome to the forum Rachael & good luck with getting your Dad's scopes back in the game.

Perchance have you got a copy of the manual for the Porta mount; if not you may be able to download one from the web. This may assist you in identifying all the bits & pieces you need to get it all assembled.. whilst I don't own one, I do know it's a quite simple mount so, you shouldn't need too much to get it all together.

If you get stuck, be sure to post any questions you have about the equipment itself, probably best in the equipment threads, someone is bound to have an answer for you.. might be useful to post a picture of what you are looking at if it is difficult to describe. Also, if you are missing any bolts or anything, you will hopefully be able to identify what you need through advice on here & then find a suitable alternative...

Don't be too perturbed by the SCT, they aren't that much harder to use really, not for visual anyways... Does the SCT also mount on the Vixen Portamount or does it have it's own?

Welcome to a thoroughly engaging hobby... not sure how experienced in stargazing you are but, you might find these attachments handy... they are a collection of really good information I mined from some threads on here sometime ago... credit goes to 'Mental4Astro' for the original posts...
Attached Files
File Type: doc Observing the Moon & Planets Pt I.doc (95.0 KB, 125 views)
File Type: doc Observing the Moon & Planets Pt II.doc (130.5 KB, 105 views)
File Type: doc Understanding Nebulae.doc (88.0 KB, 54 views)
File Type: doc Observing Galaxies - where are they - A how and why guide.doc (75.5 KB, 142 views)
File Type: doc The Autumn Sky.doc (43.0 KB, 106 views)
File Type: doc The Winter Sky.doc (63.5 KB, 62 views)