View Single Post
Old 31-01-2019, 08:45 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Interesting read Gary – thanks for the link.

It looks like in this phase of research, the research team managed to record the patient’s brain activity produced when certain patients where exposed to actual speech, and then correlated the “brain patterns” to the specific speech sounds as input via the patient’s ears.

It looks like future research is looking to focus on “thinking” where the candidate’s brain activity is somehow recorded and then decoded into speech, based upon some kind of existing codified library of words?

In my experience, I know that I can direct my thoughts when e.g. I am setting up my telescope or solving a problem, but I am also aware of patterns of “random noise” where my undirected thoughts just cycle through the garbage of the day’s events and activities.

I wonder about the source or origin of my thoughts as they pass in front of my awareness, and how I then select them to action them or otherwise.

Then there are my dreams – I wonder if this technology could convert the brain activity experienced in dreams into words. Good stuff for psychologists to trawl through maybe?

And, do I own my “own” thoughts as I’m not sure I really manage their existence – do they come to me or does my environment and activities inject them into my awareness?

Now my brain hurts - or is it my mind, or maybe my consciousness?

Cheers

Dennis