View Single Post
Old 30-04-2017, 07:00 PM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lognic04 View Post
I am thinking of sticking a peltier cooler assembly on the back of my camera, but externally. Would that make any difference at all? only thinking that because i know how bad noise is in summer with 40c sensor temps, and even long exposures can overheat a sensor. worth 30$?
If you have a suitable camera, then yes an add-on / no-cold-finger cooler COULD do well. The camera would need to have a reasonable heat conduction path from its body (preferably base) to the sensor and body to LCD. A good example of what I think would be suitable cameras for such an endeavour, based on the internal design of the camera and existing heat conduction paths, would be a Nikon D800 or 810, to a lesser extent, a Fuji XE1 / 2 or derivatives and the Canon 1Dxyz.... or probably most of the metal bodied/chassis cameras. This is based on trying to achieve a reasonable cooling target in the 0-10 deg C range (or atleast no cooler than the dewpoint for the conditions), and not necessarily record beating, sensor fogging sub zero temperatures. There is definitely a diminishing return for effort in chasing the extremes of cooling and I would be guided by what I could see/measure in the dark frames as noise versus temperature.

I think for any of these cameras a bolt-on device with zero mods to the camera would be possible, within the provisos stated.

Best
JA

Last edited by JA; 30-04-2017 at 07:15 PM.