View Single Post
Old 19-03-2018, 02:43 PM
Paul Haese

Thanks guys,

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromus View Post
HI Paul, the fit-PC solution seems like a lot of cash to burn compared to a compute stick, is there a reason you went so hardcore? its not like you would be processing images on the unit?
Hi Phil. Reason being I like bullet proof. Everything running at once uses about 4 gig of RAM comfortably, but its always good to have more for reserve and allows you to monitor and access easily whilst imaging is going on. The Israelis know how to make things sustain hard conditions. The FitPC is sort of the benchmark for remote systems from speaking with various people who do a lot of remote work. So far the embedded system on my Newtonian has worked well. The Intel Compute Stick would not last a week on site. It is a heavy dew area and with the holes in the casing of that computer I am sure moisture would get in to the circuit board. In a remote setup you cannot risk failure of the computer. Not to mention that I would need a external drive to store data etc. This way the computer is also another backup on site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Looks like a nice set up, Paul. You need to get it right if you're going to run unattended.
Definitely Rick. I had this system going before remotely as you might remember and it worked well other than the SBIG camera which I think now works after conformal coating of the SBIG boards. Making sure everything runs right takes quite some time. I wish I had another SB mount sitting out in my back yard to test bed stuff. It saves a drive for problem solving.