View Single Post
Old 03-06-2017, 03:09 AM
glend (Glen)

I have modded several 450Ds, including a debayering to mono. I also paid CentralDS to do a debayering of one sensor -which was a disaster. I agree that for most imaging you want to retain a good UV/IR Cut filter but there are a couple of ways of doing that. Typically the filter 2 ( the darker blueish one closest to the sensor) is the one that opens up the camera to Ha. The removal of the front piezo shaker filter kills off the anti-dust shake feature (if wanted), but does also open up the camera in a full 'full spectrum' sense. For some people this is desirable, as it allows you to determine whether you want to replace it with a front glass with a better anti-reflection multicoat, or create access from the front for sensor coverglass cleaning, and dry gas purging of internally cooled cameras.. My colour 450D is full full spectrum, and i run a Baader UV/IR cut on the front of camera as a t-thread screw on filter, which provides good multi-coat anti reflection features, it also provides a sealed chamber ahead of the sensor which is important for cold finger cooled sensors (now or at a later date). I use Argon inside my cooled camera.
As to CentralDS, i found them difficult to deal with, in part because of the language barrier made discussions hard, but mostly because of poor workmanship on the debayering job they did for me. They claimed to have developed a chemical debayering process, but the result was a contaminated sensor surface which had many bayer matrix artifacts, which could not be easily removed, and a damaged pixel row. It took me a while ( 6 weeks) to get a refund from them. In the end i had to replace the sensor with a spare purchased online. I will not deal with them again.