View Single Post
Old 15-09-2007, 02:44 PM
Stephen65

Quote:
But there is a solution.
What you need to do is connect one of the firewire ports on the hub to your expresscard port and then connect another port on the hub to the camera. This should do the trick. As your camera will get the power from the hub and the computer will see it via the express card.
Fahim, you are a genius. That does indeed work.

I think I got misled by the labelling of the ports on the USB/Firewire hub - one of the USB ports is labelled in such a way as to make you think that it is the sole connector to be used in linking to the computer so I assumed the hub could bridge from the firewire inputs to that USB output, the idea of going firewire to the hub and then firewire to the expresscard (ie combining both devices) had not occurred to me.

Whats peculiar is that while this combination works, just using the Expresscard (with DC power into it) directly into the camera does not work. It only works if I route firewire from the Expresscard via the hub and power the hub instead. Perhaps there isn't sufficient current (though its listed at 700mA at 12V) in the Expresscard power supply?