View Single Post
Old 25-04-2013, 09:14 AM
madbadgalaxyman (Robert)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
Wow! Thanks Robert for another one or two of your very illuminating responses. Amazing. Very interesting to read what you say about observing the brighter parts of the galaxies.

With regard to NGC 2442 I have observed it quite a few times (....) From memory, the central brightening looked extended rather than stellar.
(.....) Thanks for the correction about the term nucleus. Very good point.
Thanks, Paddy,
It is not that hard, really, to figure out the structures of galaxies, even for an amateur astronomer, as the literature on the morphology and classification of galaxies is :
(1) Quite small.
(2) Relatively Non-technical and non-mathematical,
.......therefore the Classification of objects is always something that amateurs can do.(as per the 'galaxyzoo' amateur-professional collaboration)

While it is helpful for Visual Deep Sky Observers to know the exact definition of 'nucleus' and also to understand the several other structures that can be found in the central parts of galaxies, this knowledge may still not be helpful, in practical use;
because what we need to find is a way for deep sky observers to more accurately describe , in their observing notes, what they see in the central parts of various galaxies.
As is, visual DS Observers tend to use the word 'nucleus' in a very imprecise way, using this word to describe a central brightening which could be stellar or which could be significantly extended.

It would be helpful if I could prepare a guide to what can be seen in the centres of galaxies, illustrated with photographs. I hope I can "get a round Tuit".

Best Regards
Robert

P.S. I have always been impressed by Steve Gottlieb's observing notes about galaxies; he does a very good job of describing what he sees.

Have you seen my recent threads in the science forum about massive compact young star clusters? (e.g. NGC 3603 and Trumpler 14). These objects are possible for visual observers to see, but they are very challenging objects for the visual observer...... on account of their compactness and their significant distances away from us.

Last edited by madbadgalaxyman; 25-04-2013 at 09:30 AM.