View Single Post
Old 29-07-2020, 02:01 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Yeah, I can foresee a bit of experimentation in my future with regard to low gain and longer exposure versus higher gain and shorter subs.

That said, my biggest gripe with the ASI294 was blown out brighter stars due to the limited full well capacity at the gain where the HGC mode kicked in (One step above unity) Using the lowest gain on that camera produced a lumpy, mottled sort of result.

The darks of the ASI2600 look as smooth as the example I put up above at 30, 60, 120, 300 and 600 second exposures and lowest gain, it is hard to tell them apart visually in fact where the difference is obvious with the 294. I am hoping to be able to use the lowest gain and longer exposures to trap a few more photons, while at least keeping the star colours as good as they are out of the 294. Time will tell. The read noise of the 2600 at worst is about half of the worst of the 294, it's worst in fact is only about double the best of the 294. Higher gain for better read noise looses a bit of punch in the debate when the worst gain is 3.3e.