View Single Post
Old 29-07-2020, 01:25 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
That is more or less my understanding too. “Unity” gain and “Highest dynamic range” in the driver pull down list are the same thing. I believe that gain 0 is about 0.8e/ADU so as close to unity as they go.

Edit to add, I was on my phone before. I hope and expect to use gain 0 in my application to hopefully get the best star colours out of it. I am not actually sure that the gain level will make much difference with respect to dark skies as I have or under light pollution. The only advantage I could see is that the lower read noise would let you overcome the read noise sooner, allowing you to use more but shorter exposures.
Congrats on your new camera it's certainly an interesting new entry into the market.

It'd be interesting to see if there's any discernible difference between gain 0 and gain 100 when it comes to star colours. Where the HCG kicks in at gain 100 yields almost the same dynamic range as gain 0...from ZWO's plot, it looks like it loses about half a stop, and it's almost 14 stops at gain 0, so pretty impressive.

And I'd estimate your exposure time at gain 100 to be roughly 40% of exposures at gain 0.