View Single Post
Old 10-10-2019, 02:39 PM
gregbradley

I received my 2 adapters.

Both fit beautifully and look great. I was particularly pleased at how thin Josh was able to make one as my backfocus requirements were very tight for one of the adapters.

You get personal communication with Josh so everything is totally clear about what is needed upfront. I have spent probably $5,000 or more in adapters over the years with Precise Parts and that's how Ashley used to run his business with your description of what you needed to connect and he would know the details.

Now he uses a canned adapter maker software app on his site. The problem with it is he has transferred all responsibility for the adapter being correct to you. There is no personal communication although I am sure if you did send him an email he would respond.

That led to a $600 error on my part ordering an adapter where I had one side wrong (its was an SV AO unit which is not labelled front or back and I had it oriented the wrong way). I understand his approach of getting the customer to design the adapter saving him time and money but it also shifts responsibility for the product from him (where it belongs) to you (where it shouldn't - who else makes you responsible for their product?).

US dollar exchange rate, higher prices than what Josh charges, personal communication with Josh, equal quality, no dealing with a computer software to make the adapter all add up to a much better experience.
The main thing for me was the ability to have certainty that the adapter was going to be correct. You don't get that with Precise Parts despite paying at least twice as much.

Plus you are dealing with a local.

I'd estimate Josh charged me half of what Precise Parts would. Even Precise Parts adapter maker site was confusing when it came to CFF. Its under "other".
As if you would know that.

As you may tell I am somewhat miffed at Precise Parts and their lack of responsibility for their product despite high prices and the $5,000 worth of business I'd given them over the years. I even had to pay for the dud adapter to be returned to me after I sent it back (I'd forgotten he even still had it).

Not good enough when you are charging high prices and making the customer responsible for the product.

So now we have a viable, responsible alternative. Thanks Josh! Perhaps Precise Parts needs to learn an lesson in treating your customers well. So use them and pay double and if you get the wrong adapter its tough titty.

I think we've seen on this site over the years the need to evaluate suppliers carefully. Paul Haese with Orion Optics, Mike Sidonio with his ASA disaster, others with problems with cameras, mounts etc. Its not like Precise Parts are bad but that you take a risk when you deal with their adapter maker you may not realise you are taking and at more than double the price (2.13 times the price to be exact).

Greg.

Last edited by gregbradley; 11-10-2019 at 04:45 PM.