View Single Post
Old 18-05-2008, 08:18 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew View Post
Well I'm still undecided on which lens to purchase, but just looking around the different threads here, it seems most users have some sort of tracking capabilities and it is probably worth my while looking into it further.

Anyone have a rough estimate on how much it would cost to obtain the necessary equipment to start tracking?
Skies the limit on this one Andrew!!!
I started by mounting my camera and lens on an EQ3 mount with a motorized RA drive. This mount and drive at Bintel would set you back around $550, but there are 2nd hand bargains to be found around the traps.
This would allow you (once polar aligned) to take exposures of up to about 1 minute or so before stars started to trail. The exposure time would be dependant on the accuracy of your polar alignment.

If you want to go deeper/longer you would need to either manuallly guide the mount via a guidescope or use an autoguider to do it for you.
The EQ3 with GoTo and autoguiding capability is $795 at Bintel.
http://www.skywatchertelescope.net/s...1=3&class2=304

Got to consider the future though, as you grow into the hobby trying to mount a scope on a small mount will be frustrating and a PITA!!!!!!

My current setup is an Skywatcher SynScan EQ5 mount with a side by side plate - the DSLR and 70-200mm lens on one side of the plate and a 80mm guidescope on the other. Works well for the focal lengths I am imaging at.
The autoguiding capabilty is a Godsend for imaging, I rarely use the GoTo function. Autoguiding requires a computer/laptop close`to the imaging rig.

All the best
Doug