View Single Post
Old 05-11-2019, 11:07 PM
JA

A Tale of TWO Arrays

A Tale of two arrays: yes, but a very unfinished one. What follows is a peg in the ground of what I'm sure will be a very long journey. It's all about the journey anyway, right?

Hello folks,

I have recently acquired enough of the bits to almost make a telescope/lens array (or two) possible, using ~6 inch aperture very fast lenses:
Three Nikkor 400mm f/2.8 lenses which if combined on the same patch of sky could yield a 400mm f/1.6 lens (in light gathering terms) and on a full-frame sensor a 5.2º x 3.4º field of view. Image Scale 3.1 to 2.5 arcseconds/pixel depending on whether using Nikon D600 or D800 camera.
Three Nikkor 600mm f/4 lenses which if combined on the same patch of sky could yield a 600mm f/2.3 lens (in light gathering terms) and on a full-frame sensor a 3.4º x 2.3º field of view. Image Scale 1.6 to 2 arcseconds/pixel depending on whether using Nikon D600 or D800.
I'm motivated by trying to maximise imaging time given our not always beautiful weather and I'd use the system initally with fullframe DSLR and potentially use the system for simultaneous RGB mono or narrowband imaging later. The lenses all have filter holders that can be used for such purposes, but some modification and trial will be required to try to suit typical astro filters.

In addition to the lenses I have three Nikon D800 cameras as well as 2 D600 cameras and various Nikon 2x and 1.4 teleconverters to try. Initially the lenses would all point to the same patch of sky, but later could be splayed out or turned 90º(Landscape to Portrait) for various size 3x1 really wide mosaics.

The remaining issue is a sufficiently robust mount to run the show. That I don't really have but I will either load an NEQ6 to the max of around 20kg or initially try things with two lenses.

I will post an image of the 3 in a row side by side by side I'm considering as a trial, also using tube rings on the rear of the lenses for extra support in addition to the normal tripod foot mount. The lenses are quite heavy at 5.2kg each for the 400mm f/2.8 Nikkor and 6.3kg each for the 600mm f/4.

The real problem I have with continuing the evolution of either of these systems is the lack of a permanent observatory, although crazily enough I've tried to make my mounting setup as modular as possible for "ease" of transport to somewhere dark.

Anyway that's all I have for now. I will post some proper pics of the stuff, but here is a mockup image in which I've added a 3rd lens to a picture I already had of two of the 400mm Nikkors.

Best
JA
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (3xNikkor 400mm f2.8.jpg)
146.2 KB110 views

Last edited by JA; 06-11-2019 at 12:33 AM.