View Single Post
Old 15-10-2012, 03:55 PM
colinmlegg (Colin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffsims View Post
I wasn't aware of this either.

So is using SETEXP followed by RELEASE (with serial cable) faster than TAKEPIC using USB alone?

I have used Eclipse Orchestrator for the 3 previous TSEs, and have always had to use quite long waits between exposure changes via USB.
Yeah, that's my experience as well. I went with a 3 sec gap for my project last year. Somewhere between 2 and 3 is what seems to be needed for the camera to register a change. No idea why it should take that long?

SETEXP is good in the scenario you describe using a long RELEASE + bracketing, in that you don't waste a shot. It's probably the fastest way of getting all stops from 1/4000 to 3 sec.

You can also use it to switch the camera from Manual to Bulb without turning the dial. Your dial stays on M, but the internal readout says B. (Officially not supported on 5D2, but Fred B got it working)

SETEXP,2011/09/01,-,21:41:24.000,5d2,B0.1,2.8,100,0.00 0,RAW,,N,Test

Note the B before 0.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffsims View Post
As has already been mentioned, it is worth using Bulb mode (& only the RELEASE) command for longer (>1/30s) exposures.
The bulb precision issue is one of the reasons I went for a 2nd triggering device. Between 1/30 and 1/10 sec you don't get reliable bulb times due to PC timing inaccuracies.

Last edited by colinmlegg; 15-10-2012 at 04:05 PM.