View Single Post
Old 09-05-2011, 10:01 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngcles View Post
Hi All,

Great obserevation Ron an much enjoyed reading your report.

Yes, very high magnification is required to tease out some detail in this wonderful little bi-polar PNe that really tolerates high magnification well, but only if the seeing is up to the job.

As luck would have it, I also spent about a 1/2 hour on it on Saturday night up at Mudgee where we had a very good sky transparency wise, but excellent seeing. I was able to use quite high magnification on Saturn (x371) with a pretty stable image and used x462 and x634 on NGC 5307.

I was able to repeat my earlier observation of it and saw slightly patchy and lumpy off-set "parentheses" with a lower surface brightness nebula between the them. Besides being simply a nice object, it was part of a talk I gave at the Mudgee star-party along observing notes on a collection of other bi-polar onjects -- many of which were PNe so I went and looked at all of them that I mentioned in my talk.

Three others also took a look and confirmed what I could see.

Still absolutely in love with NGC 5189 -- the most sensational PNe in the southern sky! Spent another 1/2 hr gawking at it too!

Oh ... and NGC 6445 wow!

Best,

Les D
Thanks Les
I am glad you too got some good observing in
NGC 5189 is a big favourite of mine
NGC 6455 is now on the list for future observation
Cheers