View Single Post
Old 01-10-2012, 04:48 AM
gasman1 (Gary A Sitton)

MIL camera comments?

I have just purchased a Sony NEX-5N MIL (Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens) camera with a large APS-C (CMOS) sensor. The 16.1 megapixel sensor carries a maximum image size of 4592×3056 pixels. It has a flippable, large format, high resolution LCD and an optional electronic viewer (which I don't have yet). I wanted a "no-PC/Laptop" solution to beginning astrophotography which this provides. Because the camera has no mirror box, it's about an inch thinner than a typical DSLR. I'm also hoping that the flippable LCD will help in cooling the sensor which is just inside the back side of the camera body. I had to remove the original el-cheapo 1-1/4" rack and pinion focuser because of inadequate back focus on my Orion 130mm Newtonian. It's just now been replaced with an industrial strength Antares 2" Crayford focuser. I don't believe I'm going to see any vignetting with a 2" barrel on my T-minus adapter on the Sony. The neat thing about the MIL cameras is that they will work on CSTs with the eyepiece diagonal in place. I focus by using a jewelers loop up close to view the LCD display. Since there's no mirror in the camera, what you see (on the display) is what you get!