View Single Post
Old 11-06-2008, 02:13 PM
Kirkus (Kirk)
Beginner-ish

Matty P, my new hero (ISS Photography)

I love watching ISS passes! Don't know why, but they really knock my socks off. I've been following Matty P's adventures in photographing it. And although I've thought about trying myself, I always figured it was too difficult. Well, I decided to give it a go tonight.

It passed at 70 degrees and about -2.0 or so. I'd downloaded tracking info from the Meade website and installed it on my Autostar. I figured I'd let the mount at least give me a head start...

What I got from the Autostar was "No Pass Soon." And then, there it was right on time, with me manually controlling the mount. I'm sure I looked like a goof ball. I was freaking out! I hit record on the laptop, did a bizarre sort of contortion so I could see through the view finder, and chased the thing across the sky. Through the FOV and out the other end. Through the FOV and out the end. I actually got the giggles imaging what this must look like should a neighbor be spying on me.

Anyway, in the end, I have over 5,000 of the most beautiful empty black frames. LOL.

For Matty P ---->

You're a better man than I am.