View Single Post
Old 03-02-2015, 12:35 PM
bwana (Brian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroJunk View Post

My dilemma though would be the choice between the A7R and A7S which are so different, and I just feel that the monster pixels of the A7S are a big price to pay for the increased sensitivity, on the other hand...
The A7S and A7R are indeed different, in resolution as well as noise control. A repost I recently dropped to DPReview:

"Up to about ISO 1600 (maybe 3200) I think the image quality off the Sony A7R is better than the Sony A7S, being that image quality is a blend of both resolution and noise control. And yes, I realize this sort of shoots down my argument that nobody needs high MPixel cameras, at least for daytime shooting .

How I use the A7R and A7S is based very much on how they perform (noise-wise) under the available light. The A7R is pretty good up to about ISO 3200 (can be pushed to ISO 6400). The A7S excels at ISO 3200 up to about 51200. It is interesting that my quality cutoff on both cameras is 1/8th the maximum allowed ISO setting; by design??

I've done a bit of noise analysis on several Sony/Canon cameras using 30 sec Darks at about 20-22C and the Noise Evaluation utility in PixInsight.

My noise evaluation of the Sony A7 II shows it to be about the same as the A7R.

The Canon 6D has better noise control (about 33% better) than the Sony A7R/A7 all the way up to ISO 12800 (the highest I went). Its noise also increases slightly less with increased ISO than does the A7R/A7.

Testing the Canon 60D shows it's noise at ISO 3200 to be about the same as the 6D's at ISO 8000. I even tested my old Canon Rebel XTi. At ISO 1600 it is about a noisy as the 6D at ISO 6400.

I was also provided Darks off a Canon 7D II for testing but I think there was something wrong with the data provided because it tested twice as noisy as the Canon 6D which I find hard to believe? I would have expected it to be about equivalent to the 6D, maybe a touch worse, even considering it has an APS-C sensor and smaller photosites.

The Sony A7S had about 5x less noise than the A7R/A7 II all the way through its ISO range; about a two+ stop advantage." Of course you do gain some noise reduction by downsampling A7R images to A7S size but the A7S, in my opinion, still blows the wheels off the A7R/A7 II!

My testing also indicated the A7S had about 3x less noise than the Canon 6D in the ISO range tested: 3200-12800.

After reading a few reviews on the Canon 7D II, I'm no longer sure whether the Darks off the camera were good or faulty. I've seen reviews ranging from good to poor. Not sure where I stand on the latest edition of the 7D!? However, it really doesn't matter since I will never purchase another APS-C sensor camera after using full frame, and with the Sony A7 series cameras I can shoot in crop mode and still retain the noise advantage of a full frame sensor; win, win!!

Just my ramblings (from Canada)...

bwa

The large number of the images in the following albums were shot with my A7R and/or A7S (both cameras full spectrum modded):
Misty Valley Ranch Albums