View Single Post
Old 19-04-2018, 07:39 PM
rally

I got the following information from the developer for interest.

Oh, and you get an IR filter !

==============

Thanks for asking.
Someone asked about astro use before. You need a 380 mm image circle for the LS911. I really assume the LS911 won't be too good for astro as the noise increases quickly over time till about 10 seconds max.

Your 100 mm image circle telescope will only partially cover the LS45, so you can calculate the pixels you will have with 50 micron pixels. The lens I'd think about using for stars would be the Kodak Aero Extar 7 inch f/2.5 as it is sharp and bright and should cover the sensor. That leaves you with just a standard lens. There are some longer aero lenses though.

The LS45 sensor is a newer generation sensor and that I assume would be better for astro than the LS911, but I would expect it would be bad a exposures more than a few seconds. I don't have all of the details yet. The FWC is around 1.6 Me- (or up to 2 Me-) with noise around 300 electrons, which gives about 12 stops of DR. But when gain is applied, the FWC and noise are reduced. Once I get the sensor I'll play around with gain and see how it works out. I am assuming the base ISO is over 2,000. It could be possible to have clean ISO 16,000 with low DR, I'll have to see.

The sensor is 16 bit but once you start applying gain your effect bit rate goes down.

You can publish it as tentative info. I actually don't have the full info yet but I have an engineering sample on order. Production won't happen till the end of the year.

The LS45 will have a swappable IR blocking filter.

I'm open to adding extra cooling for a special LS45, it could be the LS45a. I'm planning 5mm of aluminum heat sink behind the sensor, but that could be thicker and other stuff added. I was looking into some cooling options such as a Peltier cooler, though those take a lot of power.

============