View Single Post
Old 14-11-2017, 11:04 AM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by langman78 View Post
Hi all.

Thinking about pulling the trigger on a decent piece of glass mainly for general photography with my 70d (and a future investment for when I one day upgrade to full frame) but curious to know how this would perform with wide field AP with and with out my iOptron Sky Tracker? Not really finding much info on these gems when it comes to AP. Certainly hitting the mark for myself personally for general photography. The final decision on a purchase will be made I guess on its performance with a cropped sensor and full frame for AP.
Rather steer clear of any EF-S lenses for obvious reasons but being in a tight budget it will be hard. Current lenses I have are: 50mm prime f1.8 EF and a kit lens 18/200mm which hasn't been used at all for any AP as it's a EF-S lens and doesn't allow me to use my CLS Astronomik light pollution filter.
Any opinions, thoughts on this lens or perhaps some better options would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for reading,
Ben
Hi Ben,

Your 18-200 is a good lens and the equal of the Sigma 24-70 2.8 EX DG HSM as far as sharpness. The 18-200 also has lower / less obvious coma than the Sigma you mentioned. Where the Sigma wins out is obviously that it is 1 stop faster. Also the 18-200 will be much wider on your camera (29mm FF equiv versus 38mm FF equiv for the Sigma 24-70 on your APS-C body)

You cant use the 18-200 with your CLS Clip in, but you could instead use a 72mm Redhancer type filter (Made by Hoya, B+W, Marumi, Crystal Optics, etc...) to achieve much (some) of the same elimination of light pollution. Not as extreme as your CLS, but very accpetable. Give one a try..... here is an incredibly inexpensive one.....

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RH-72-RE...QAAOSw~vpaAnVs

The Canon 24-70 f2.8 L II is another story and a really excellent lens with very good control of coma on tests I've seen.

Best
JA