View Single Post
Old 17-05-2009, 11:58 PM
Karls48 (Karl)

I had Pentax 100D super for about year or so. I found it easy to use and I’m happy with it. Mind you I’m not photographer and Pentax was an upgrade from small and cheap digital camera. Main advantages – easy to use, any lenses with M42 tread can be used with M42 adaptor (no auto focus), anti shake and sensor-cleaning works for me, pic quality is good by my standards, good price.
Disadvantage – it chews batteries very fast. For astro imagining it can be used only with external power adaptor. But it is easy to build one for it for about $20.
Most of accessories for astro use are just as easy to obtain as for any other brands.
From eBay. T adaptor about $10 (please note that although they are same diameter there is a difference in pitch between T tread and M42 tread. Screwing M42 to T tread will cause you major headache.). Acura timer is about $60. Right angle viewfinder adaptor is about $70.
I use my Pentax for astro imagining occasionally, but really I do prefer my GStar. All DSLRs are bulky and heavy and produce very large files.