View Single Post
Old 18-04-2017, 03:05 PM
aprilstorm (April)

Upgrade my Bresser EXOS-II EQ5 mount or buy new

Im a beginner and bought a second hand BRESSER AR-127S Messier 5" f/5 refractor with mount a while ago.

I have started to use it and wouldnt mind doing some basic astro photography namely the planets. but I find that when I get decent magnification I have trouble with tracking as the mount is not motorised. As a minimum I an thinking of motorising the RA axis.

The Bresser mount is an EXOS-II mount which looks almost identical to an Skywatcher NEQ5 mount.
This is the mount: https://www.bresser.de/en/Astronomy/...Q-5-Mount.html

If I look at the online installation manual, the fittings look identical. So the question I have is will a skywatcher motor kit fit the EXOS-2 ? Also is it worth it? The price for just the motors seems to get you half way to buying a completely mount with a GoTo System.

One thing I do find when using this mount is sometimes Im in an odd position and its hard to reach the manual controls so having something like a control box on a cord has its appeal.

The upgrade from Andrews for a full goto is about $600, and Im just not sure if its worth it.

thanks

April