View Single Post
Old 28-09-2006, 12:11 AM
Talon Karrde

Need some info on the Canon 400D

I've been considering jumping into the digital realm with the purchase of my first DSLR camera. I do intend to do astrophotography with it, so I want to make sure I make the best choice I can.

I had ordered a 30D when the news broke about the Canon 400D (Digital Rebel XTI) and I quickly canceled the order until i found out more about the camera. I'm in a bit of a dilemma right now and thought someone around here might be able to help.

My main concern is the ACTUAL noise performance of the 400D under high ISO settings. According to Canon, it's as good as the 350D even though they crammed another 2 million pixels on the sensor. Normally, under every day conditions I wouldn't care since the extra pixels and the other features of the 400D are nice. From what I've heard though, noise performance in astrophography is much more vital.

I am an amatuer with an amatuer budget, so when comparing the 30D and the 400D, it's a difficult choice. Do I want to spend an extra 400$ (US) on a 30D, or will the 400D be just as good? Many of the other people I asked said I should spend that money on lenses, but when I plan on using no lens at all, I can't exactly go with that argument.

Is there anyone here who owns a 400D and has tried the thing out yet? I'd like to get some first hand impressions. Either way, I'm going from 35mm to Digital, so I'm sure it'll be a huge step up either way... but if I'm spending almost a grand, I want to make sure I buy the right thing.

-TK