Thread: Eyepieces
View Single Post
Old 21-07-2017, 11:08 PM
Nebulous (Chris)

Hi Mark, from a fellow Noob. Well, a three months Noob anyway...

Yes, that should make the view bigger. But the mathematics of this hobby seem to be able to play tricks on you sometimes..

My scopes came with basic quality 10mm and 25mm lenses, which both seem to work pretty well and "as advertised". Slip the 10mm in and everything gets bigger.

So I lashed out on an (allegedly) good 6mm and also a 40mm, hoping to get great close-ups with the 6mm and nice wide views with the 40mm (easier to navigate when you can see more sky). And mostly it works that way.

However, sometimes the results aren't as good as you'd hope for. Bigger isn't always better. Due to a variety of factors (i.e. I don't really know what they all are... ) sometimes the clearest results were obtained with the medium range lenses. I guess it's a combination of the optics of the scope, the 'seeing' conditions in the sky, and even the quality of your own eyes (poor in my case) plus the ever-present astronomy gremlins, but sometimes the numbers don't quite deliver eveything that you hoped for.

All the best with it.

Cheers,

Chris