View Single Post
Old 25-07-2018, 11:12 PM
dpastern (Dave Pastern)
PI cult member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exfso View Post
Dave, have done the uninstall of Eset, also have a pretty good power supply Thermaltake. Also looked at all the caps on the mobo, they look to be in good condition, no bulging/leaking etc. (I am a wire jerker by trade so have a pretty good idea what to look for)
The really strange thing is it was doing the BSOD before the OS was re-installed, so I doubt it is software. All the drivers are up to date. I disconnected all the external drives just to make sure it was not one of these.
Thermaltake PSUs are quality, and uninstall of ESET should eliminate it from the equation. If Caps look good, then I'd say that they're good.

How many RAM slots are being used? If possible, keep it simple and just use One RAM slot/stick and see what happens.

When you did the wipe, did you just do a basic wipe of the HDD? If possible, use a bootable tool (USB stick) to do a low level format of the HDD, including the MBR, running the tool 3 or 4 times on a detailed low level format. Then reinstall Windows, and Windows ONLY and monitor for 2-3 weeks (keep it off the network/Internet during testing is my advice). I tend to not only format the drive, but run a fdisk on the /mbr.

My mate had issues with an older SSD a few years back, with BSODs and it was down to a firmware issue with said drive. It had to be sent back to base/manufacturer. I can't remember the brand.

Also, another suggestion, is to wipe (as per above paragraph to be thorough) and install GNU/Linux (my suggestion is Debian, but Ubuntu will suffice I guess). GNU/Linux is both very stable, and works well with hardware at a hardware layer, much better than MS Windows imho (sorry, but Windows is a terrible O/S) . GNU/Linux will also have many tools to help diagnose issues, including excellent logging. Yes, MS Windows logs stuff, but it's logs are truly HORRID. Having managed Linux and Windows mail/web/SQL servers for near 8 years in my last job, I know which operating system was more robust and nicer to use. Horses for courses though i guess - Linux is not everyones cuppa tea!