Thread: Qhy23 ccd
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2017, 07:40 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
I’ve used a D810 on my refractor on a couple of occasions and the correction at the edge of field is very good but not perfect. Going from OSC to mono makes it appear a bit worse.

I’ve noticed this with using my D7200 and QHY163 on the same lens (Sigma Art 85mm F/1.4). The D7200 @F/2.8 looked better than the QHY163 @F/3.2. The QHY163 has slightly smaller pixels at 3.8 vs 3.91 microns but it is also a smaller chip being a Micro 4/3 as opposed to an APS-C.

One of the reasons that the KAF-16803 is “easy” to correct for is the 9 micron pixels. Any telescope that shows even almost round stars with a KAF-16803 will show a reasonable amount of distortion with a QHY367M.
I used to own a sony A7r which uses the same sensor as the QHY367C (there is no M as far as I can see).

One of the features for that sensor was it had microlenses at the side of the sensor sloped to the pixel so it allowed more light in the sides and corners to reach the pixel. That was mainly because the mirrorless format is quite short and so A7 series cameras were suffering from colour casts in the sides of the images on wide angle lenses. I wonder if that is an issue with a telescope system which has a flattener. It may work against you, it may not.

Greg.