View Single Post
Old 12-03-2017, 02:33 AM
Hazza777 (Harry)

Keeping an eye out Daniel, got some holiday time coming up so hopefully something will show up soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWatch View Post
Will the SW be that much cheaper when you throw in the flattener?

BTW, I noticed a review here: http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/38...d-80mm-f75-ed/ that mentions the author's previous Williams scope...

Thanks for the input Dean! Hadn't come across that review but it was a good read.

A FF/FR for the SW is only ~$275 so it still comes out much cheaper and the SW also comes with 2" dialectric diagonal w 1.25" adapter, 2"LET 28mm EP, 8x50 finder scope.

The WO 81 has similar options available for 1-200 more, which is getting the to the very limits of my budget unless one of the other vendors I've contacted for prices on this scope get back to me under the current benchmark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelopardalis View Post

Just remember that the GT81 with reducer/flattener as mentioned in your first post will bring the focal length down to about 380mm. If you wanted something around that focal length, I'd suggest the WO Star71-II. Small, light and will cope with a full frame DSLR.

I hadn't even considered the ramifications a FR would have on Focal Length and Image Circle... haha that sent me down a very deep rabbit hole I think I'll need to take some time to get a full working command of.

Gosh the Star71-II looks wonderful, 2.5" focuser, much faster and the photos on astro bin.... WOW! (Though all taken with much better equipment than my humble nikon). but even more pricey than the 81 without any EP and I likely wont be upgrading from my APS-C D5100 to a full frame or CCD for a long time by which hopefully I'll be able to afford a decent reflector. Not sure that extra speed/shorter FL would be worth the money for a beginner but now seriously considering downgrading the AZEQ6 to an AZEQ5 ($400-$500 difference for the tripod/pier models) to accommodate that scope. Luckily its light but I still feel if I couple it with an 8" SCT or MAK as a guide scope later on it will overload the AZEQ5.... Will have to contact a few sellers and see what the best offer for a Star71-II is.

Thanks everyone for the welcome and the input!