View Single Post
Old 20-02-2019, 12:17 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
On the contrary. The motive for it originated from the power generation industry - the morning/evening peak loads are significantly influenced by whether they occur in daylight, or not. Shifting the peaks by an hour in summer results in a significant saving to the community as a whole.

If the government suggested we could have no daylight saving - but domestic electricity bills will be hiked by $200 - I suggest most would prefer the daylight saving.

There is a spin-off too - it becomes possible to engage in several outdoor sports after work on week-days - anything from tennis, athletics to sailing and paragliding - where available light is crucial. But outdoor sports in the UK aren’t as popular as here so I’m not surprised by your reply.

In comparison - due to your latitude in the UK, the evening twilight lasts so long you don’t need daylight saving.
So wait...you’re telling me that coal power stations care whether or not it’s daylight? That may be historically relevant, but with all the reduced power devices (lighting) these days, it can’t be significant.

The UK / Europe daylight shifting also has limited merits. The only one I can think of being that it starts getting light at 4am instead of 3am in summer