View Single Post
Old 28-06-2018, 09:41 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

I think from your jumble of wishes you want something that does everything (doesn't really exist) or you want several scopes (which is what we all end up with). Really nail down what you want. Taking images really isnt as simple as attaching a camera and pressing a button. Get some experience at the eyepiece of various scopes first so you get an understanding of what to expect. You wont see bright colourful galaxies and nebula like whats seen in photos through an eyepiece except on very very large scopes. Typically off the shelf telescopes the OTA (optical tube assembly) is the strongest part of the package while the tripod mount and included eyepieces the weaker. If imaging is really your goal then you need an equatorial mount and its the super critical part of the system to get right. As an imaging system is usually spending hours doing its thing and you cant touch it most people use a dob for a visual scope. I would say an 8" dob (non goto) will be of lifelong use and will teach you much of the considerations before delving into an imaging system. You can of course image with a dob but there are limitations off the bat. Just avoid a newtonian on a manual EQ mount as its more likely to kill your interest completely. An 8" dob will give you amazing views, teach you the issues of finding a target in the sky. Go a 10" if you like i guess. Either way eyepiece upgrades you can look at down the track any time as it should come with a few to get you started.