View Single Post
Old 23-07-2014, 02:44 PM
SkyWatch (Dean)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renato1 View Post
One thing about dark adaptation, is that one still needs to look up stuff in maps with non GOTO telescopes. For decades I used little red LED flashlights I made myself following instructions in Astronomy magazine. The were fine, I could read everything in Sky Atlas 200o and Herald Bobroff AstroAtlas.

But on the occasions back then that I got together with members at my local club, they were using red flashlights that were about 10 or 20 times brighter than what I was using. I bought an Orion red flashlight, and same story, way too bright. I couldn't see how dark adaptation was possible with them.

I wonder how many other people working solo are using too bright red flashlights?
Regards,
Renato
Yeah, I think you are right: the fainter the better. Just bright enough to see the star chart is all you need. I find it really annoying when people at star parties wander around with very bright red torches, sometimes with just red cellophane, and even shine them at you as you are trying to look through the scope...

- Dean