View Single Post
Old 08-07-2011, 11:04 AM
madbadgalaxyman (Robert)

The Pavo-Indus-Telescopium supergalactic structure seems to be well characterized in a sky map found at:
//www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/superc/pavind.htm
The major concentrations of galaxies (clusters, groups) in this Supercluster and in the Centaurus Supercluster are well shown at this website.

I don't know who is responsible for this website, but on the whole it seems to be accurate.

An excellent book that characterizes the supergalactic structures (superclusters, voids, walls, shells, bubbles, etc), a book that can be understood by anyone with a really good background in astronomy, is:
"Large-Scale Structures in the Universe"
by Anthony Fairall (published by Wiley-Praxis)
This book is a model of clarity, and the maps and descriptions really give the reader a feel for how the largest scale structures in the universe actually look.

The author of this book, Anthony P. Fairall (1943-2008), usually known as Tony Fairall, was one of the great authorities on redshift surveys and on the largest scale structures in the southern hemisphere skies. He died not long ago in a tragic accident, which deprived the world not only of a first-rate scientist but also of one of the great gentlemen of science; he was always quick to assist me if I needed information, and (which is rare for a practicing researcher) he had a parallel
career as a planetarium director and talented popularizer of astronomy.

It was entirely characteristic of Fairall that he would create a website making the abstract findings of the 6dF Redshift Survey accessible to others....

Go to :
http://mensa.ast.uct.ac.za/6df-survey
and then click on "redshift shells" to download a .ppt presentation on the sky distribution of galaxies on the largest scales, grouped according to specific shells of redshift.
(choose the option "2MRS features enabled")

The maps in this powerpoint presentation show us what are the major features in the universe, with one sky map per each range of Galaxy Distance.

Last edited by madbadgalaxyman; 08-07-2011 at 02:44 PM. Reason: need to add more information