View Single Post
Old 22-09-2010, 06:15 PM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzy View Post
Hi Patrick,
I have just realised that your scope is a 16" and obviously things are brighter. Is M-57 then as bright as your sketch? If so, permission to roll up the tv guide and flick it on my head .
I hope I wasn't sounding harsh with your sketches Patrick. I think I may have been, in trying to be constructive (not that i really know what I'm talking about yet )

What is the protocol on submitting sketches? In the astro section they are open for critique. Is that to happen here, or do we post without requiring the feedback. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings (as I thought I may have with Patrick's).
If it helps any, when I put my M-57 sketch up- I will leave it wide open for 100% cross examination - honest! I'll take it
Hi Suzy,

Yes, M57 through my scope looks pretty much like my sketch. It is a very impressive item for a big scope and quite like a monochrome version of astro photographs. I took no offence as I figured that you wouldn't have seen it like this through a telescope. I found your thoughts on M 8 interesting and want to have another look to see if it fits. I did find it hard with the pastel to get the brightness in exactly the right spot. I recall noticing in the scope that the brightest part was in the middle of the top wedge nebulosity in the sketch and I felt I did this better in the original graphite sketch, but your comment makes me want to look more deeply. Which to me is what sketching is about and what I value in feedback and why I ask for it. So I was not offended and I appreciate that you took the time to really look and put some comments down. They've helped me learn and look again. So from my point of view, this is exactly what I want in the forum. Please not even gentle self hitting with tv guide, but I look forward to your sketches. And more sketches and comments from others as well.