View Single Post
Old 22-09-2010, 12:34 PM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
Don't think I've quite got the lighting yet to photograph/scan the sketches and the edges on the dark lanes of M8 look too sharp.

Hi Paddy,

One thing that helps me is squinting at the image I'm reproducing on black paper. It helps me gauge the intensity of the 'ruddings' or soft details. If you squint at your picture of M8, you will see how the dark lanes become even more pronounced, and M57 is so much like "through the scope" like.

What this technique does is help you in determining how much to work the white pencil. Starting really soft and then intensifying the white is easier than trying to remove the white, which sometimes can't be done.

I squint all the time with my black repro's.

It is all a thing about practice and trying and using paper and trial and error. No right or wrong.

Reason why I don't smudge, even though it can give a more life-like appearance, is my own drawing background, where my teachers said "if you need to rely on smudging, you are not controlling the pencil- it's controlling you". Now this has become a cross I bare!!

I feel like a recovering alcoholic "go on, just one little rub, it's not cheating"