View Single Post
Old 29-01-2009, 03:37 PM
turbo_pascale (Rob)

2" focuser for 65ED

I have a Burgess 65ED Backpacker, which is a nice little "part built" OTA (a very nice little gift from Greg Bradley!)
They were $20 scopes which for whatever reason didn't get in to full production and then were sold in a kind of fire-sale to the ATM market. They came without a focuser. The glass if FPL53, so is high quality. The problem with them was they required some mods to collimate them properly (See link: http://www.astronomyreviews.com/ed65/ed65fix.htm)
Subsequently, they made a focuser (rack & pinion) which is 1 5/8".

What I would like is a proper 2" focuser (preferably crayford), so I can use it with my DSLR. The problem is the OTA diameter to mount the focuser. The inner diameter is approx 71.5mm, the outer diameter is approx 74mm.

I can't seem to find one of these anywhere. Clearly, I'm a bit anxious about spending a fortune on a focuser when the scope was $20, but a 65mm with ED glass is kind of nice for some widefield imaging, and also, as the name suggests, portability.

Anyone got any ideas on if there is something appropriate I can use? I'm not necessarily keen on getting someone to machine an adapter unless absolutely necessary. Several people have used an Antares focuser, but at approx US$150 seems over the top, especially as it still requires an adapter and modifcations.

Turbo