View Single Post
Old 29-06-2015, 04:58 PM
Tay_melbourne (Taylor)

New to astronomy

Hello all, Im Taylor from Melbourne and Ive recently found great interest in Astronomy and photography.
I have only been photographing nightscapes of the milky way as of yet with my DSLR and tripod, but this is very rewarding and Im getting great shots and feedback. I still plan to do a lot of nightscapes and star trails for some time, But Im also wanting to get into some Solar astrophotgraphy, such as Lunar, Planets, maybe some Nebulas (Orion).
I wish to continue using my DSLR (Canon 5D Mark ii) for the time being.
I am joining a astronomy society as of next week where I will ask them all the same questions and more haha
Ive been to a few Telescope stores and tried my best to find the best opinions, but am not sure Im getting the right advice, more a sale. (unsure)

Im just posting here to get more advice from a larger network of more experienced astronomers.

What set up should I start out with using my DSLR bearing in mind I have a budget of $500-$1000 AUD ideally and can have my rubber arms twisted to about $1500 AUD haha

Any advice will be very much appreciated and I look forward to getting into viewing the heavens.

Advanced apologies for late replies, as I work quite long days I only will have to chance to reply in the evenings

Cheers Tay