View Single Post
Old 15-09-2016, 06:48 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawomir View Post
On the other hand, I think that experimenting with numerous processing tools and techniques, breaking boundaries and over-cooking astro images brings invaluable experience that is essential in personal growth as an amateur astro imager and it allows for acquiring in-depth understanding of how to skilfully process astro data. I reckon it would be quite a challenge to find an amateur astro imager who have never clipped a histogram or destroyed good data with noise reduction. Besides, everyone is at a different stage in their journey and have different circumstances, so acquiring good data may not always be possible.

Just my two cents.
Nah.....I'm thinking you've put the cart before the horse.
You wouldn't try to palm off a photo-shoot of a bride on her wedding day by taking out of focus .jpg images, with motion blur and the wrong colour temp...then hope like hell there is a Photoshop filter to fix the mess. (You'd also probably get sued )

Also, you don't need a $100k rig to get good data. There are simply some basics you have to get right first up.

In focus? If not re-check and shoot again!
Stars round ? If not check polar alignment, tracking, auto-guiding parameters, mechanicals until they are.
Image noise? Insufficient exposure time/ bad calibration frames. Maybe both. More telescope time and nail your reduction data prior to image calibration.

Only then should you fuss with the smoke and mirrors of post-processing...
that's my 5 cents worth