View Single Post
Old 09-10-2010, 12:35 PM
Rob_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
Well....it's funny you should ask that.

I have a plan...a dream.. a vision... A web site that has excellent charts of both LMC and SMC, with the capacity for people to contribute images, sketches observation notes and links to articles on the clouds and their objects. That's one reason I'm putting together all of these observations. I am thinking the maps might be actual images and I'm not sure whether to temporarily cross over to the dark side of imaging to put this together or just do mosaics of DSS images. I am leaning towards the latter at present because I don't really want to learn how to take and process astrophotographs. Or invest buckets of money. Or reduce my time at the eyepiece.

BUT Mark Johnston (astrospotter on IIS) has already done a nice chart of the SMC based on a photo by Jason Jennings. This is very good and will get you around a lot of stuff quite well. But I think without the really comprehensive charts of Mati Morel it's hard to find some of the non NGC/IC clusters. eg the GC he's marked with a question mark near NGC 104 is Kron 3. But I think he's really provided a very good chart which I'd highly recommend. The web address is

http://63.201.54.197/astrospotter.co...gs_Labeled.jpg

And Marks' web site is

http://63.201.54.197/astrospotter.com/

You might remember his excellent and extensive obs reports from his recent trip to the Flinders Ranges.

Anyway, if/when I do get further with my Magellanic cloud web site, I'd welcome some collaborators/contributors...
Thanks Patrick! Good luck with it, strange that something similar hasn't been done before considering that visually these are the most outstanding extra-galactic objects in the whole night sky. Go the DSS route too, the other road leads to madness! Aladin should help in identifying even the most obscure object.

Cheers -