View Single Post
Old 25-04-2010, 06:48 PM
Hagar (Doug)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki View Post
Doug I am just a little curious here and this is not an attack just a question. From memory you sold your QHY 9 mono and replaced that with a QHY8 pro OSC. Now you have bought another QHY 9 mono.....if you percieve the difference to be that small why pay 3K to get another one .

Mark
I bought the QHY9 a second time for a few reasons.
1. I have purchased a FSQ106ED which left my images severely undersampled with the QHY8Pro and the QHY9 colour was not available in Australia at the time.
2. I thought I would make a conserted effort to see what all the hype was about as with the first I gave up pretty quickly and sold off the camera.
3. I wanted to do some narrow band imaging and needed a filter wheel and to get something which was fully integrated into the camera at a reasonable price was quite attractive.

I have yet to try narrow band imaging with this camera as work and weather have been against me for the last 6 months but I will get arround to it sooner or later. Even RGB imaging is yet to convince me that there is much if any gain to be made for all the extra effort. The fact that dark frames are a must, imaging times still seem longer to me and processing/combining time also is significantly longer I still question the value.
I intend to spend a reasonable period testing this camera in both RGB and NB so only time will tell whether I still own this one in a year or so.

From where I sit at the moment (Pixel size and sampling aside), the QHY8Pro is the easiest and best value for money camera a run of the mill imager like me can look at.

I hope this answers your question. Maybe I should look at a bigger sensor with higher QE, and better sampling figures for my scope but would still consider a OSC even in the 11000 series. (At least at the moment) $3K i'm loaded just pocket money.

The 2 images below may shed some light on my sentiments.

First image; 15 X 60 second exposures with VC200L 8" and QHY8 OSC
Total imaging Time = 15 minutes total exposure

Second image; 15 X 2 minute Lum + 10 X 2minutes each RGB filter = Total imaging time 1.5Hrs Exposure TAK FSQ106ED at f8 and QHY9 with LRGB filters

The last image is an example of NB imaging with QHY8Pro
80 minutes each Ha, OIII and SII.

There is a difference in telescopes of course. Tak FSQ106ED 106mm at F8 , VC200L 203mm at f9
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (OC-VC200-QHY8.jpg)
198.4 KB76 views
Click for full-size image (NGC5139-21-4-2010-web.jpg)
198.0 KB61 views
Click for full-size image (M42-HST.jpg)
195.1 KB88 views

Last edited by Hagar; 25-04-2010 at 08:54 PM.