View Single Post
Old 21-05-2009, 10:02 PM
tonybarry (Tony)

Hello Kerrie,

I have a K200D with the Pentax 18-55 mm lens, an older AF Sigma telephoto, and a 50mm manual lens from the film days (as well as a T-ring adapter).

Good points about the K200D - weatherproof body. (So much peace of mind). Very easy to use, the buttons all make sense and the "help" screen on the camera back is in "Big" print. I'm now hitting 50 so that really helps. Price cannot be beaten - possibly the lowest price in its class. Batteries are really meant to be Energiser Lithiums - not cheap, the Eneloop batteries may be an alternative but I haven't yet tried. But you get a heap of pics out of a set of batteries so that's nice (I've gotten more than 800). Lenses are available and good, every lens back to 1974 will at least fit. Note there is some issue with some older Sigma lenses on Pentax KA mounts. See Wiki for the details.

Bad points for astro use.
No live view. For focusing this is essential.
No remote assistant. This lets you work a bit away from the mount, and is really helpful.
The body is "thick" and requires low profile adapters to work on my LX90, else it bangs into the mount when in high alt settings.
IR filter is built in, and there isn't much call for removing it for H-alpha etc.
Heavy body - this can be balanced out with counterweights but you know, less is more.

My take - I love this SLR. Great for pix around home. Fast and easy to use. Still working out whether it's an astro cam or not.

Regards,
Tony Barry

Last edited by tonybarry; 21-05-2009 at 10:06 PM. Reason: [SPELLING]