View Single Post
Old 20-06-2016, 09:53 PM
StuTodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
I generally try to critique an image using the Sh*t sandwich method. Ie: say something nice, then say what you really want to say, and finish on an encouraging positive note!
Love the analogy Andy A great approach and allows a suggestion or two without the "know it all" factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronobob View Post
I have some experience with basic imaging but do know what it takes to get an image, and I'm the kind of person that will say, "Great Result" just on the fact that someone has accomplished their image and have posted it here !
Personally, I would agree Bob, that is my attitude too, my general outlook on life. I used to be in a well known (in the UK) arty railway photography group and they were harsh, overly so. It put me off as much of the acid was down to personal taste. As Rick said, certain things can be controlled but personal taste...no.

I don't personally comment on astrophotography as I wouldn't consider myself "qualified" to, but always give credit where it is due, if I offer an opinion, and indeed, feel I can add something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Often, it's because we don't have the luxury of being able to wait for great seeing or the time to collect another 50 hours of data. Sometimes it's because we know we should be able to do better but aren't sure how. Then, of course, there are occasions where we post an image that we think is pretty damn schmick only to have obvious flaws pointed out
I often wonder how greats such as David Malin et al worried about a shot after taking hours of data on photographic film and then processing it in the dark room? Yes, they wouldn't have had issues with tracking or focus, but film possessed its own foibles and pitfalls.

How technology has come on, I sound like my dad!

Stu