View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 06:43 PM
assbutt94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrek View Post
If your in suburban Sydney ( bortle 7 to 8 sky ) and using a DSLR ( which I do Canon 600D) I find capturing lots of short exposures without the filter gives you a better outcome when stacking and post processing
Try 40 to 60 subs @ 25 to 40 sec with ISO 800, you still capture enough data
I’ve tried 5 minute, 3 minute , 2 minute and 1 minute subs at ISO 400 / 800 and the end result is to much noise and a massive blown out core which you can’t clean up
Your DSLR sensor temperature with long subs is probably around 39 to 45 degrees but at short subs with pause and delay it should be sitting around 32 to 35 degrees, this does help
With shorter subs you can try layering in your post processing as well ( I’m still learning this feature )
Hopefully tonight I’m going for 60 x 30 sec subs and 15 darks at ISO800
Good luck !
I used to take subs in the exposure lengths you've suggested as i bought the equipment i needed slowly and was unguided for a long time. My camera's ISO provides a similar SNR as a 600D at ISO800 (going by DXOmark anyway).
I haven't edited a 3min exposure yet, but just opening the stack in photoshop seems like it will need less editing to have more detail than any of my short exposure stacks. Granted my first attempt at editing was those short exposures of Orion, so maybe I could do that data a bit more justice.
Hopefully I may even be able to use them to layer onto the longer subs like you've suggested.

I thought that the heat would be the same at the end of varying length exposures, as the camera uses the exact same method to count and process the information the sensor collects.
I'll slap a temperature probe from a cheap set of multi-meters on the camera tonight because now I'm curious and I need help not falling asleep.
I have a 25s pause between exposures, and I keep the screen off so that is doesn't generate heat.

Im also in Sydney, the sky's look good tonight, Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulyman View Post
That’s a reflection of the star, I get exactly that shaped reflection on my Evolution 6 when close to a bright star such as Alnitak. Can’t help with how to deal with it in processing unfortunately as I’m still starting out on that as well. But I’m sure someone will be along to help with that. Good luck, image looks good despite the reflection.
Thanks!