View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 05:00 PM
assbutt94

Orion Nebula Defect

Hi, I've recently "Completed" my astrophotography setup, finally getting a guide-scope and whatnot. Any way, I figured I'd start on something easy and interesting and try get some good capture time of the Orion Nebula.

Anyway, I've come to find that the star Hatysa located within the boundaries of the nebulousness is causing a lopsided Halo defect that I'm not sure how to handle.

Pointing closer to Hatysa causes the halo to shrink but causes the nebula to be framed less than ideally, where nebulousness is now also being effected by vignetting.

Here is a single example of 40 or so stacked 3min subs, darks + flats. I cropped a lot of my vignetting but haven't done any editing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	005edit - wbset2.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	237391

Im using a Celestron 8se OTA, 0.63x focal reducer, Astronomik CLS CCD filter followed by the celestron CRing thingo to mount my DSLR.
Im thinking maybe the Light pollution filter is bouncing light back to my focal reducer but that's a stab in the dark (get it hahaha).

Happy for any input and critique. Hoping to collect some more data tonight to add to this, perhaps more 3 min exposures at ISO 1600 (same as this) to get more subs and later on ill take some with lower ISOs to better show detail in the centre and then have a crack at aligning it with photoslop

Cheers!

EDIT: Cant get the image to display for some reason. Always have this problem...
EDIT2: Got it

Last edited by assbutt94; 07-12-2018 at 05:57 PM.